Frequently Asked Questions

We try to answer a lot of the questions either via the main pages (such as About ADHD) or, if they don’t have such an obvious home, then here. If you’ve got a question that isn’t answered then please get in touch. Your question is likely wanted to be known by others.

Do I need to notify the DVLA that I have ADHD?

ADHD is not an automatically notifiable condition for the DLVA. That means it is not an absolute requirement to notify them of any diagnosis; however, you must tell the DVLA if your ADHD or your ADHD medication affects your ability to drive safely. That means you should use your own judgement as to whether you should notify them. If in any doubt you should take medical advice. If you are still in any doubt you should probably notify. The DVLA’s page on ADHD can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/adhd-and-driving

Disclaimer: This was correct at the time of writing and is not formal advice. For formal advice please contact the DVLA and a medical professional.

I would like to know more about diagnosis and "Right to Choose"
Is there a link between ADHD and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) or CPTSD (Childhood Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)

ADHD is a neurological and developmental disorder. The symptons can sometimes be missed until later in life but it is a condition someone has had all their life. PTSD or CPTSD is the result of a traumatic event. It causes physiological, cognitive, and emotional changes that can be confused with ADHD but are fundamentally very different.

ADDitude magazine has a good article on this: https://www.additudemag.com/ptsd-symptoms-adhd-diagnosis-difficult/


PIP (Personal Independence Payment)

PIP (Personal Independence Payment) is a UK Benefit for providing for the extra costs if you have long term ill-health or a disability. You can find out details from the Government on PIP here. This is a very complex area. We therefore think the best thing we can do is increase awareness that there is a specialist charity focused on this topic area. We therefore recommend looking at Mental Health and Money Advice who have specialist information on the topic and are able to provide information based on which country in the UK you are in. Their pages include: what is PIP, can I claim PIP for mental health (short answer ~ yes), how to fill in the PIP form, supporting information for your PIP application, how to challenge a decision, and how to understand the decision.

Is there a cure for ADHD/ Can stem cell therapy, HBOT, or TMS cure ADHD?

Stem Cell Therapy, HBOT (Hyperbaric oxygen therapy), TMS (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) cannot cure ADHD.

ADHD is a life-long permanent medical condition. It is not curable; however with treatment the symptons can be significantly lessened.